Foundation for Trauma-Informed Care and Practice
This one-day interactive training builds awareness to the possibility that clients, staff members and/or practitioners may have experiences of trauma, from childhood or more recently. It highlights how the trauma may be affecting their health, wellbeing, daily interactions and functioning.
The training provides attendees with the knowledge and skills needed to better support their clients' sensitivities and vulnerabilities, minimise re-traumatisation and enhance possibilities for recovery. As a significant percentage of Australians with trauma histories engages with diverse services, a basic understanding of trauma, trauma dynamics and the core principles of trauma-informed practice is vital for every person working in health and human services.
This training encourages attendees to reformulate their daily work practice and to ask “What happened to you?” using a ‘work with’ rather than ‘do to’ model with clients. It fosters collaborative practice, client and staff safety, a strengths-based approach and a trauma-informed lens which views ‘symptoms’ as adaptive coping strategies. Participants will return to their workplace with insights and tools which foster hope, recovery, enhance client and staff wellbeing and minimise the risks of re-traumatisation.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Utilise knowledge of the types, prevalence and impacts of trauma to articulate the benefits of trauma-informed services
- Analyse the stress response to better understand your clients’ challenges in regulating their emotions and arousal
- Use a trauma-informed lens to reframe challenging emotions and behaviours as ‘adaptive’ responses to trauma
- Apply the principles of trauma-informed practice to develop strategies which enhance safety, minimise re-traumatisation and support recovery
- Perform an individual/organisational practice audit
Material presented in the training will draw on research including from Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery www.blueknot.org.au/guidelines