Blue Knot Foundation’s Educational Workshop for Adult Survivors of Childhood Trauma and Abuse
This full-day educational workshop provides a safe space for people, who have experienced abuse or trauma in childhood, to learn more about what that experience means and how it may have affected them and now. It will raise awareness about survivors’ strengths and resilience, the role of coping strategies, how the brain responds to stress, and most importantly research which shows that recovery is possible. Participants will gain information which may help them build on their strengths, understand their reactions and ways of coping and identify strategies for positive change. Participants will also receive information about finding and engaging good support, accessing helpful resources and self-care strategies.
By attending this workshop participants will:
- Understand childhood trauma and abuse, how common it is and how it often relates to current challenges with relationships, self-esteem, health, wellbeing and other life issues
- Learn about their strengths, the ways they coped in childhood, are coping now and explore possible changes in the future
- Understand more about the brain, the biology of stress, and triggers with tips on how to recognise and manage them better
- Explore strategies to help manage their emotions and levels of arousal
- Learn where to go to find help, how to care for themselves, interact in healthy ways with loved ones and others, and explore possibilities for recovery
This workshop is educational rather than therapy; it focuses on safety, self-care and support. While there is some group discussion during the workshop, there is no obligation to speak and participants are not encouraged to share their stories. Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions page to view some commonly asked questions regarding this workshop.
All training and education is grounded in the latest research presented in Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery