Blue Knot Foundation is the National Centre of Excellence for Complex Trauma. We empower recovery and build resilience for adults impacted by complex trauma. This includes 1 in 4 adult Australians who have experienced childhood trauma.
What do we do?
Supporting survivors and those who support them
People who experience abuse and trauma in childhood or complex trauma as an adult often struggle with their psychological and physical health. People supporting them often don’t know what to do and say. Blue Knot Foundation empowers survivors to recover and supports those around them.
A workforce that understands trauma and works in a trauma-informed way supports recovery. This includes workers and volunteers in a range of roles through to practitioners working therapeutically with people impacted by complex trauma.
Building a trauma-informed community
Whether it’s from assault or violence, or as the result of a flood, fire or accident, in childhood or other adverse events as an adult, trauma is very common. It affects us all. By building a trauma-informed community, which understands the nature of trauma, its impacts and possibilities for recovery, we not only support and empower survivors, but we also look after ourselves.
Using research and practice evidence to inform complex trauma treatment, including child sexual abuse
We analyse evidence from research and practice, to identify what works and what doesn’t work in treating complex trauma. Our work highlights the critical differences between the nature, dynamics and treatment of single incident trauma (PTSD) and complex trauma.
How do we do it?
- Empower recovery and build resilience for the 1 in 4 Australian adults who experience the impacts of childhood trauma
- Provide support, education and resources for the families and communities of adult survivors of childhood trauma
- Develop and disseminate best practice and research evidence around complex trauma
- Build national workforce capacity around complex trauma treatment, trauma-informed practice and managing vicarious trauma
- Drive innovation in complex trauma policy, practice and service delivery
- Embed trauma-informed policy, practice and systems change within organisations and the community
What do we believe?
To reach the 1 in 4 Australians who are impacted by childhood trauma and those additionally impacted by other forms of complex trauma
Empowering adults to recover and build resilience from complex trauma.