Trauma-Informed Care and Practice in Domestic and Family Violence Services - Level 1
This one-day interactive professional development training provides the trauma-informed information and skills needed by personnel working with people and families with experiences of domestic and family violence (DFV), past and current
As victims of substantial trauma, they often live in fear of, and/or experience ongoing threats or acts of violence, which severely compromise their physical and emotional safety. The trauma/s can profoundly affect their thoughts, beliefs and behaviours. It is important for all people working with victims of DFV to use a trauma-informed lens which asks: “What happened to you?” and to ground their individual and service practice in an understanding of the dynamics of traumatic stress and ‘adaptive’ coping strategies.
This training will workshop the principles of trauma-informed practice using DFV case scenarios and highlight the importance of ‘working with’ rather than ‘doing to’, of collaborative relationships, choice, client and staff safety and a strengths-based approach. It provides participants with insights and tools to take back to the workplace which will enhance the safety and wellbeing of the people and families they support, foster recovery and minimise the risks of re-traumatisation.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Utilise knowledge of the prevalence and impacts of the complex trauma of domestic and family violence (DFV) to articulate the benefits of trauma-informed DFV services
- Analyse the stress response and survivor coping strategies to better understand the challenges of clients affected by DFV in regulating their emotions and arousal
- Apply the principles of trauma-informed practice to develop strategies which enhance safety, minimise re-traumatisation and support recovery for families who have experienced family violence
- Perform an individual/organisational practice audit
- Acquire trauma-informed strategies to help support optimal arousal, emotional regulation and safety
Material presented in the training will draw on research from Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery and other relevant research.