Embedding Trauma-Informed Care and Practice for Managers
This full-day interactive professional development training alerts leaders and managers to the benefits of embedding trauma-informed principles throughout their programs, systems and organisations
, and provides the framework and steps to undertake the process. Informed by current research, it highlights the reality that many clients and staff have experiences of past and present trauma/s, putting them at high risk of retraumatisation
, including in organisations
over time. These experiences often profoundly affect staff and client health, wellbeing and ability to optimally interact, function, and engage.
This training presents the core trauma-informed principles and highlights the OH & S and risk management benefits of becoming a trauma-informed service. It delineates the critical role of leaders and managers in the systemic change management process - one of ongoing commitment, engagement and collaboration across all levels of the program, system or organisation
. Doing so is a ‘win-win’ for clients, staff and organisations
alike, in terms of reduced stress, better client outcomes, greater staff satisfaction and
productivity, and enhanced well-being for all.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Acquire knowledge of the types, prevalence and impacts of trauma, particularly complex trauma
- Apply insight into the stress response and survivor coping strategies to articulate the need for trauma-informed systems and services
- Build the skills and strategies trauma-informed managers need to support staff with trauma histories, and/or who work with clients with lived experience of trauma
- Evaluate the barriers, opportunities and benefits of embedding trauma informed principles into practice, policies and systems for clients, staff and organisations
- Delineate the framework and steps needed to embed trauma informed practice into a program, system or organisation focusing on the role of managers
- Conduct a trauma-informed audit of your organisation, and individual organisational plans for change
Material presented in the training will draw on research including from Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery and other relevant research.
You can download the training flyer here.