Trauma-Informed Care and Practice - Level 2
This one day interactive professional development training builds on the principles of trauma-informed care and practice explored in Blue Knot Foundation’s training: Foundation for Trauma-informed Care and Practice Level 1. The training will foster insights and skills needed to work relationally with trauma survivors.
A relational approach highlights strategic connection and collaboration as building blocks for resilience and the development of self-regulation skills. This includes working with disclosure in the present rather than seeking details of past trauma, and so reducing the risk of re-traumatisation.
The training will equip participants with the knowledge and tools to create safe situations in the context of complex personal, interpersonal, and environmental influences. Skill development focuses on the particular experiences and needs of survivors, is evidence based, person-centred and practical.
The training enables participants to support the development of personal and interpersonal skills that may have been interrupted by trauma experiences. The training will also explore participants’ roles in fostering sector development. This includes the use of psycho education to promote trauma-informed care and practice within their organisations, with sector partners and other stakeholders, including support people and families.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Articulate the core principles of working relationally with trauma survivors to foster trust, connection, recovery and self determination
- Understand the impacts of developmental trauma to work collaboratively and effectively with trauma survivors and minimise re-traumatisation
- Critique historical approaches to working with trauma to better understand, support and respond to survivors' particular experiences and expressed needs
- Apply regulation and co-regulation strategies and skills to create safe situations which enable survivors to narrate their current experiences more effectively
- Workshop strategies for applying trauma-informed care and practice principles and psychoeducation in a range of interpersonal, organisational and sectoral settings
Material presented in the training will draw on research including from Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery and other relevant research.