Trauma-Informed Care and Practice when working with Domestic and Family Violence - Level 2
This one-day interactive professional development training provides trauma- informed information, knowledge and skills needed for personnel currently working directly with people currently experiencing (or who have past experiences of) domestic and family violence (DFV), and who have a working understanding of complex trauma, and trauma informed care and practice principles.
This training builds upon, and extends, Blue Knot Foundation’s Level 1 course: Trauma- Informed Care and Practice in Domestic and Family Violence Services- Level 1.
Intersectionality issues are common with survivors of DFV and this training explores how to unpack intersectionality using a complex trauma lens. Case scenarios are used to support you to understand and develop practical strategies to enhance trauma recovery within a trauma- informed care and practice model which focusses on safety. The training workshops how to apply the trauma-informed principles of safety, trustworthiness, choice, collaboration and empowerment when working with people and families experiencing DFV.
Informed by current research, the training also explores the management of some of the common but highly complex trauma impacts of DVF including shame, loss and misattribution of responsibility for violence. The challenges of working with survivors who also perpetrate domestic and family violence are also explored.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the connection between power and control dynamics and complex trauma
- Apply an understanding of intersectionality to work successfully with survivors of DFV
- Develop skills in working with shame, developing trust and reconstructing identities to enhance recovery from DFV impacts
- Apply a trauma-informed practice model to working safely and effectively with people experiencing DFV, with an advanced understanding of perpetrator tactics
- Identify and explore the challenges when trauma survivors perpetrate violence
Material presented in the training will draw on research from Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery and other relevant research.