Trauma-Informed Care and Practice in Domestic and Family Violence Services - Level 2
This one day interactive professional development training provides the trauma- informed information knowledge and skills needed for personnel currently working directly with people currently experiencing (or who have past historical experience of) domestic and family violence.
This training builds upon, and extends, Blue Knot Foundation’s Level 1 course (Trauma Informed Care and Practice in Domestic and Family Violence Level 1).
Case studies will be used to understand and develop practical strategies to enhance trauma recovery within a trauma- informed care and practice model which has a focus on safety. The training will highlight how to apply the principles of safety, trustworthiness, choice, collaboration and empowerment when working with people clients experiencing DFV.
The training will also explore the management of common trauma impacts including shame, loss and mis-attribution of responsibility for violence. The challenges of working with survivors who also perpetrate domestic and family violence will also also be explored as well.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the connection between forms of domestic power and control and the development of complex trauma
- Apply an understanding of intersectionality to work successfully with survivors of domestic and family violence DFV who face additional layers of power imbalance and marginalisation
- Develop skills in working with shame, developing trust and reconstructing identities to help survivors’ long-term recovery from the impacts of domestic and family violence
- Apply a trauma- informed practice model to working safely and effectively with people experiencing domestic and family violence, with an advanced understanding of perpetrator tactics
- Identify and explore the challenges when trauma survivors additionally perpetrate violence
Material presented in the training will draw on research from Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery and other relevant research.
You can download the flyer here.