Managing Vicarious Trauma for the Legal and Justice Sectors
This one-day interactive professional development training for legal and justice personnel acknowledges the significant risk of vicarious trauma (VT) and burnout in daily practice and distinguishes between them. In so doing it supports you, professionally and personally, to stay safe, healthy and resilient. Vicarious trauma is a normal reaction to repeated exposure to traumatic material and/or stories, and the practice of law intersects often with clients who have experiences of trauma.
This training provides participants with the knowledge, skills and tools to better recognise the early signs of VT and intervene accordingly. Through understand its dimensions, dynamics and risks, you will be able to engage in protective strategies, individually, professionally and organisationally. You will also be supported to develop your own wellness plan to enhance your professional resilience.
By participating in this professional development training, attendees will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of trauma, its impacts, stress response, ‘adaptive’ responses to trauma and possibilities for recovery
- Define vicarious trauma (VT), its features, factors in its development and differentiate VT from burnout
- Identify the relevance of VT to legal practice, the areas of law to which it applies, and risk and protective factors for individual/organisational legal practice
- Articulate the principles and importance of trauma-informed practice to enhance client and personal well being
- Delineate the steps to minimise the risks of VT for staff, practitioners and practices, maintain professional resilience; conduct a personal wellness assessment and take home tools to develop a plan
Please note: this training is also available in a half day format. The half-day format, while informative, presents the course information in less detail and does not provide the opportunity to workshop concepts for practical application.
Material presented in the training will be comprehensive, and will draw on the research based on the Blue Knot Foundation's Practice Guidelines for Treatment of Complex Trauma and Trauma Informed Care and Service Delivery and Trauma and the Law: Applying trauma informed practice to legal and judicial contexts.
Click here to download all Blue Knot Foundation professional development training of particular interest to the legal and justice sector.